Monday, September 5, 2011

Another Labor Day weekend put to rest

Our Labor Day weekend is winding down. It has been a fun weekend. We started with Friday night movies at home while enjoying some BBQ pork sandwiches that I made myself. They were yummy if I must say so myself.





On Saturday we went to Pam Wilke's wedding. It was a nice wedding, just rather odd to see her married again with her daughters and grandchildren standing up for her. I am happy that she met Doug, she deserves some happiness after losing Bob to cancer. I am so thankful that Pam and I have reconnected after all these years. I think God brought us back together so I could be her sounding board about another guy that she had met and almost married prior to meeting Doug. We had fun at the wedding reception visiting with lots of friends from our church. On Sunday after church we visited John's mom and dad at the care center where both of them live now. We did not know what to expect when we got there. MaryAnn had recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer and was only given months to live. (See my prior posts to read more on this)


We weren't sure how she would be feeling about this news or how her medications would be affecting her, but we were so pleasantly surprised to find her in great spirits with her sense of humor intact. We laughed with her about many things. It was a good visit.



Courtney sent her a hand crocheted hat and she proudly modeled it for us. Her comment was, "Yep, not sure if I will look better gray or bald!" She has always been a bottle blonde until now.







After our visit, we rewarded ourselves with a shopping trip to Toys R Us. We are on the hunt for boys toys and clothes. It is so much fun to see what is out there for little boys after shopping for sweet Tizita for these past three years. Now we can add trucks to the princesses and dinosaurs to the Barbie dolls. We found some cute T-shirts on the clearance rack and



these fun trucks and cars. I remember how buying things for Tizita just seemed to make the wait go faster, so that is my theory this time around, too.



We enjoyed hamburgers on the grill on Sunday night, took a long walk on Labor Day morning, and John washed three cars in the afternoon. He has not washed cars as often this summer as he is used to, so it was good for him to be able to spend an entire afternoon washing, polishing, shining, and waxing the cars. He used the car wash gift set he received for Father's Day from the kids which made the task easier.



Tonight we will finish up our summer with brats which have been soaking in beer all afternoon. Great way to finish up our summer.



Tomorrow I go back to school. I am as ready as I can be at this point. Hoping for few criers.


Note to Nathnael: Grandpa and I are having so much fun shopping for clothes and toys for you. We found you some cars and trucks that we think you will enjoy. I see that you are holding a red car in your picture. We did find a red car for you, hopefully it will remind you of the one you are holding. Stay healthy and happy. We will see you soon!













1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm sorry to hear the news about MaryAnn. She did look to be in great spirits and the hat Courtney made looked wonderful on. Sounds like you had a nice long weekend. Enjoy your day back at school ;o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails