Friday, September 23, 2011

Good bye summer, Hello Fall

No school for me today due to a teacher's conference that I choose not to attend. I decided years ago that I already know all the stuff that they try and teach me at those conferences. I have been teaching so long that I know what works for me and my kids and I know what my parents like. No need to fix it if it ain't broken, right?
Anyway I had a very productive day. Fall is in the air and is all around us today. The sedum have turned into their beautiful fall colors. We have many, many sedum in our yard because they transplant easily and they are one plant that I cannot kill. The garden is showing the final signs of productivity, not that it was a particularily productive garden this year anyway except for tomatoes.



There are still probably a good six dozen cherry tomatoes to harvest yet as long as it does not freeze and there is one more nice big tomatoe. We will have BLT's as soon as that one is ready. I am planning tacos one night this week while we still have the cherry tomatoes, too. I do have a good number in the freezer to use for spaghetti and pizza sauce this winter.


I have started my Christmas shopping which is also a sign of fall around here. I love to start early and buy a lot. I have found a site called Sophia's Styles where I order Christmas, Easter, and other festive dresses for Tizita. I have five outfits hanging here, but I don't want to give them away. Suffice it to say that they are not a disappointment and I cannot wait to see her in them.



Today mom and I went out to the cemetery to get the graves ready for fall. We found some nice flowers and leaves on our shopping trip today and took them out to the graves.


Fall is a time for school fundraisers around here and these are the brownies that I ordered from my neighbor girl to support her dance team. They look so yummy and due to the fact that I paid $15.oo for them, they sure better taste even better than they look. I think John and I will break into them tonight for our bedtime snack, we deserve it for various reasons.


I also baked some pumpkin bread which made the house smell like fall. The recipe came from a friend, Sarah and it was so easy to make. I added many chocolate chips which should make it taste even better. I think we will have some of that tonight, too. We deserve it for various reasons.


And finally, I have put up the Packer yard flag. If you recall that very sign had a piece of black electrical tape through the G a few years ago when John was less than happy with the Packer performance. So far he is happy and the sign will stay as it is for now.




On a side note, we got sad news about John's mom. She is going to hospice and has only two weeks to live. Wow, that was fast, but at least she is not in any pain. I wonder if she will make it to her birthday on Oct. 9 or maybe she will be celebrating this one in the best place ever!




Tomorrow we leave for Mishawaka, Indiana to meet our long lost friends, Patti and Tom Kovach. I am so excited to see them and catch up. I will post pictures and details on Sunday.




So, good bye summer, welcome fall. Winter, you can just stay away this year.































3 comments:

Kim said...

Sorry to hear about John's mom. That was fast but hopefully that will minimize any suffering.

The pumpkin bread looks really good. I may have to try my hand at that some time. If you have time, I'd love to have the recipe. Can you FB email it to me?

Hope you have a great trip to see your friends. Drive safe!

madj said...

While I welcome the autumanl weather, I do not look forward to the next soltice (or even that time befor it), you know, that time that has the white death associated with it.

Anonymous said...

Greetings, I'm Son and I've ϳuѕt recently started to get involѵеd ωith what уou're going over. I am not certain where you’re obtaining your facts, but solid job anyway. I need to spend some more time learning and understanding more. Thanks for this: this is just what I was looking for for my mission.

My homepage - http://beanearthling.com/blogs/31718/45457/arkla-gas-bbq-grills-as-well-as

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails