Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sweet September

As a child, September always held such sweet memories of the first day of school-new shoes, new outfit, new haircut, new desk, new teacher, new adventures. I was always happy to walk back into school and I can still remember that smell of fresh waxed floors. I witnessed it at the first day of school at St. John's on Tuesday, too. All those excited, happy faces and all those crisp new clothes. Not to mention all the moms and dads with cameras in hand trying to capture that sweet moment. No matter how things change over the years, no matter how technical we become, no matter how crazy our lives have become, there are still new clothes, new shoes, and happy memories on that first day of school. ( As a sidenote, my Preschool does not start until after Labor Day, so I still have that to look forward to with my students)
Another thing that makes September so sweet is that first touch of fall that arrives around Labor Day. The air has a certain coolness to it in the early mornings and the leaves are just starting to turn ever so slightly. The warmest part of the day is mid afternoon and the sun sets earlier in the crisp evenings. It is a wonderful time of the year for taking in the outdoors before the long cold winter arrives as we know it will, always does. But for me September has become that much sweeter because of Tizita...
It was in September of last year (the 12th to be exact) that Tizita first came into our family and we became grandparents for the first time. What a sweet, sweet time! I will never look at September again without remembering a little girl walking off an airplane holding her mama's hand and clutching her Mimi (bought for her long before I even knew her name, age, or sex) with big brown eyes taking it all in. Oh, the sweet, sweet memories...
Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined what a delightful little lady she would be and how easily she would become a part of our family.
I am not sure how it feels to a grandma when a grandchild is born into the family, but somehow I am thinking this experience is totally different and tugs at different heartstrings in a different way. So as most grandmas celebrate a birthday as the day their grandchild entered this world in a very traditional way, I celebrate sweet September as the time that a little lady walked off of a plane and into our hearts forever!
So, for now and forever, September is my sweet, sweet month!

9 comments:

Kim said...

Very touching post! I remember following your blog very closely last Sept to see those first pictures of you and your sweet granddaughter! I still enjoy reading your blog and the adventures you have in "Grandmaville."

Sherri said...

Thanks,Kim at least someone still reads it faithfully. (Well, you and you mom, too)

madj said...

What about me? I, too, have the image of that little lady walking slowly and pensively down the wide airport corridor holding on to her mama's hand, us not knowing what ot expect.

Verna said...

I may not always comment, but I read it every day!

I have enjoyed reading about your family and your precious granddaughter! The joys she has brought to you this past year.

I wondered how you could go for all those walks and do all that stuff when you were a teacher. Makes sense if your school doesn't start till next week.

Have a great week end.

Your Pal, M said...

I'm pretty sure September was also the time when we USED to go to Chicago... Now that too is just a memory...

Sherri said...

Actually, Mal, that was August before school started. I think you three stooges need to plan a trip there again this fall! Are you free at all between work, school, tennis, soccer, and a man friend?

Lissa said...

Actually Mal, I was just in Chicago yesterday with my man friend and we saw the EXACT bench where the tart incident took place. I laughed and laughed. Chocolate all over and on top of it all, the tart tasted rancid to me.

Your Pal, M said...

Actually actually... I believe last time we did go was after school started in September if my memory suffices ... Ahhhh the tart good times good times it just crumpled probably because it was stale... Sherri is it hard to believe that you did have good memories even before Tizu... And man friend has a new title now he is more that just mi amigo... But that is a story for another day.

Sherri said...

Hey, Mal, this is such a good forum discussion going on here! I do know that I have good memories before Tizu and most of them involve you and the girls laughing at me and my shenanigans! HA! The tart is one of the best and do tell more about the man friend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails