Thursday, July 11, 2013

Thoughts a day before Vacation-We are Going Back to the Island





These photos are  from 2009.
They are from Tizita's first trip to our beloved St. George Island, Florida.
It will only be her second trip there, but it is John and my 16th time visiting the Island since we were introduced to this magical place by our friends, Connie and Paul back in 1998.
Truth be told, it is a good thing we didn't discover this place until the girls were in college or we may have never taken any of our fun family vacations because we would have been on St. George every year.
Sometimes John and I go alone and rent a cute, small beach house.
Other times we have gone with just the girls and rented a two bedroom beach house.
One time John and I just stayed in the small Island motel for a week.
Courtney and Paul got married on the beach right outside of our huge beach house nine years ago.
My mom has joined us on numerous trips.
My niece Mallory has also been with us on a number of trips.
We love spending time with our family on this Island.
 
Well, our bags are packed and we are ready to go.
Courtney, Paul, Tiz, and Soli have already begun their trip south.  We will meet them at our Days Inn in Cullman, Alabama tomorrow night.
Alissa will fly in on Saturday to join us.
My mom, John, and I are leaving early tomorrow AM for our drive.
We have always driven, never flown to St. George.
We actually enjoy the drive.  We have it down to a science even knowing exactly where to stop for lunches and snacks.  We can tell you the cleanest, friendliest gas stations along the route.
I document each trip in a journal and we have so many good laughs along the way.
 
So, you ask, why would I have any misgivings about the trip.
Well, I am from a long line of worriers, I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop, and I am an expert at imagining the worst possible scenarios.
It doesn't help that one day before Courtney and Paul were due to leave for their wedding on St. George, Courtney had a car crash in Milwaukee.  No injuries except to the car, but the stress, oh the stress...
So, it is difficult for me to get too excited until we are all actually sitting on our beach chairs on that first night in St. George watching the waves roll in and my cares roll out.
 
There is one more glitch to add to this vacation and that is John's new job.
We will return home on Sunday, July 21 in the early afternoon.  (That is provided we all arrive on the Island in the first place)
Later on July 21, John leaves for his first week up in Iron Mountain, Michigan learning all about his new job.
I will be on my own for the first time in our 37 years except for having my babies and getting my eye fixed.  I hope I can sleep without John next to me.
 
We are just so happy about this new job opportunity though and the four weeks he will be up in Michigan will go very quickly and he will be commuting to Pewaukee after that.  Blessings all around, really.
 
So, I am hoping that my next post will come to you from the Island.
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails