Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Will they call me ShiShi?

I am a grandma in waiting. My grandchild(ren) will come to us from Ethiopia via adoption. My daughter and son-in-law first presented us with their plans a year ago on Mother's Day. Since then I have been learning all I can about Ethiopia and adoption. I have been buying any books or toys that have African American children in them. I have started to notice the lack of black children in advertising, on TV, and in literature. I have tried to picture what they might look like. I am a unique grandma in waiting because I don't know exactly when my long awaited grandchild(ren) will arrrive. Most grandmas have the exact month and some even know the exact day that they will become a grandma. I don't even have a clue if it will be in the next year. Originally we thought it would be a 6-9 month wait, but that has gotten signifcantly longer for whatever reasons. It seems like I have been waiting for such a long time, I can only imagine how it feels to my daughter and her husband as they anticipate this blessing.
I wonder what they will call me. Granny, Grammy, Nana, Nanny, etc. I don't eoven know the Ethiopian (Amheric?) word for Grandma. My friend's granddaughter affectionately started calling me ShiShi, I suppose since my name is Sherri and it came out like that. I like the name and I could live with that for a grandma name. We will just have to wait and see what my own grandchild(ren) will want to call me. I cannot wait!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails