Sunday, July 6, 2008

God Bless the USA

Another Fourth of July is over. We watched the fireworks from the floor in the bedroom. We didn't care to venture out into the mosquitos so we stayed in the comfort of the house and saw a fine show. I guess I should explain here that in Watertown the fireworks were on Saturday, July 5th instead of the 4th, not sure why, but that is why I am documenting them today.
During our church service today we prayed for our country and sang God Bless our Native Land. My prayer is that the coming year will be one of prosperity and that God will bless our nation. Hopefully our gas prices will come down. Despite a few inconveniences this is still the best place to live. I pray that the war in Iraq will come to a successful end and the troops will be able to come home. One of my students has a brother in Iraq and I could tell by the way she spoke about him that it bothered her to have him there. (Even though she was young she still knew that her brother was in a dangerous place) Our class collected things to send over to her brother and his fellow soldiers. We ended up with four boxes full of shaving cream, soap, cards, magazines, pens, toothpicks, frisbees, toothpaste, socks, gum, and many other items to give the soldiers a taste and feel of home. The class made a book of pictures for Travis and they each dictated what they would like to say to him. Most thanked him for fighting and told him they were praying for him. I asked his sister what she wanted to write on her picture and she said"Please don't die." I tried to have her say some other things so I didn't have to write such a morbid thing, but she insisted and I guess that was the prayer of her family and with those simple words she expressed what we all feel about all our soldiers. Thank you to all of our brave men and women who fight for freedom in Iraq and all other areas of the world.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails