Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Great expectations for a teacher

Here is my afternoon class from last year. I hand picked this group for my class and they did me proud. They are all off to kindergarten this fall and I will miss them.
Today I was at school from 10:00 A.M. - 8:30 P.M. for our registration. I felt like all I did was eat (we ordered out for lunch and had fund raiser brats for supper plus snacks during the day) and wait around for my students to come and visit my classroom. I predicted correctly that one particular family would be walking in at 7:55 even though they had all day to come and sure enough in walked mom, dad, and four kids. They proceeded to trash the room and overstay their welcome, but I was gracious and didn't let them sense my impatience. One funny comment that I wanted to document came from one of my new students. She had been watching the gymnasts at the Olympics and ask her mom to teach her to do the balance beam. Of course mom said she wouldn't be able to do that because she didn't know how to do those tricks on the beam. Sophia told mom not to worry because Mrs. Damman would teach her! Liek her mom said, she has high expectations for me as a teacher. While I may teach her to walk on a balance beam that will be the extent of my teaching. I have not yet mastered the beam beyond walking on it! Funny stuff and it makes me remember why I love my job!
It looks like my holding pattern is over. I am almost positive that I will be having an afternoon class but am hoping it will just be meeting on Tues. Wed. and Thurs. I will find out more details tomorrow. I will also be working on my beam routine tomorrow!
Note to Tizzy: While I enjoy watching the gymnasts I am always thankful that my girls never showed an interest in the sport. Seems so dangerous to me. I am hoping that you, too will find other sports and activities in which to participate, but I know if gymastics is your thing I will support you! I am secretly hoping for another swimmer, though.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails