Thursday, June 14, 2012

Happy Birthday to my college roommate and good friend, Joan

Today I celebrate the birthday of my college roommate and good friend, Joan.
We met early in our freshman year at Carroll College.
Joan's roommate was a classmate from her high school and my roommate was a pastor's daughter from Rock Island, IL
We realized from the get go that our floor seemed to be a mixture of all the weirdos and odd ones who didn't belong anywhere else.  Is it any wonder that Joan and I sought each other out.
We became roommates our junior year and never looked back.
In the above photo we are using a friend's crutches to act silly.  I remember working hard on those curls  in our hair, wearing our hot curlers piled on our heads in ponytails.
I have such fond memories of my years at Carroll and those memories revolve around my friendship with Joan.
Here we are on top of our bunk bed.  It was very special to be able to get bunk beds in those days, but we pulled it off.
If those beds could talk...
Ready for a TKE formal.
Before you judge, I am not sure what I am wearing there.
Foolishly, we joined a sorority and became not only friends, but sisters.  Ugh!
Enough said about that.
All we can figure is that we were momentarily out of our right minds.
Our good friend, Beans is with us in this picture.
And again, notice those curls!

Our moms have remained friends over the years, too.
Both our dads checked out early.
Yes, we have grown up and changed through the years.
We have watched one another go through different seasons of our lives, but when push comes to shove, we are still very much those same two college girls enjoying our times together.
We both feel passionate about raising awareness and money for Alzheimer's.
Many of our good times have revolved around alcohol.
We still try to get together at least twice a year.
Joan always chooses some unique restaurant in the Milwaukee area for our get togethers.
They are always an adventure and we always have a great time.
So. today, I want to say, "Happy Birthday to my good friend, Joan!"

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails