Monday, June 16, 2008

Memories of the Watertown Aquatic Center


At the end of my walk today I passed the Watertown Aquatic Center and the lifeguards were just walking out to go to their stations to start the day. It made me think back to all the years that Courtney and Alissa worked at the pool. They were really fortunate to have such a nice summer job for all those years although if you ask them they might not agree with the lucky part. They always came home with stories of poop in the pool, bloody injuries needing stitches, and adult males exposing themselves up on the hill. As I think back to that I am so glad that nothing really serious happened on their watches! It is big responsibility for 18 year olds. Both girls served as head manager of the aquatic center meaning all big decisions were ultimately in their hands. One year Courtney was the manager while Alissa was her head guard. The Damman girls were running everything that year. I guess I didn't realize the enormity of that until just now. Alissa managed for one year without her sister when Courtney graduated from college and got her first "real" job. That was the last year for Dammans at the Aquatic Center. They moved on and those new lifeguards took over their stations today. Those lifeguards today were probably just little kids back when the Dammans ran the pool!

My thought for Tizzy today: Swimming has always been so important to your mommy and your Auntie Alissa. They swam from the time they were even younger than you are today. I don't know if you will be a swimmer or not, but I do know that we will spend many happy times at the Watertown Aquatic Center. I am so excited to take you there!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails