Thursday, June 12, 2008

Our good friend Joan and a horse clothes pole


When Courtney was born my good friend and college roommate Joan, gave her a plaster rocking horse clothes pole. I am pretty sure that Joan painted it herself, but I can't remember that detail. It was an era of painting plaster objects. I made ornaments, wall hangings, a lamp, an owl and the list goes on. This painting was sandwiched in there somewhere between artex (mentioned in a previous blog) and macrame. Anyway Courtney always used to hang her little pajamas, bathrobe, and numerous belts and purses on this little horse clothes pole. Sometimes she would just sit on its back and hold on to the pole and pretend she was riding. It was such a unique, thoughtful gift that Courtney really enjoyed. I am so glad that we kept it all these years and brought it along through all of our moves because now Tizzy will have it in her room and she can hang all her special things on it and take it for a ride. John and I will be helping Joan celebrate her retirement/birthday this Saturday and I intend to let her know that her little horse will be bringing joy to another little girl. Joan has been such an important part of our lives over the years and I am so excited for her to meet Tizzy.




A special note to little Tizita Desta: Another piece of history to put in your room. I have lots of stories to share with you about my friend Joan. I know you will enjoy this little horse clothes pole just as much as your mommy did.

1 comment:

Courtney and Paul said...

Yup, I definitely remember the horse clothes pole. I didn't realize you still had it and am excited to get it into Tizita's room!

Courtney

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails