Monday, June 9, 2008

The rain came down and the floods came up!











I wasn't sure if I wanted to include this in my blog or not, but then I decided I needed to document it. We have had water in our basement before, but never like this. Watertown got over 7 inches of rain on Saturday and Sunday. Our basement couldn't keep it out and the floods came up. ( I am borrowing that phrase from the Bible song, The Wise Man Built his House upon a Rock.) We are on top of a hill and figured we wouldn't have a water problem but apparently this is not true especially when the rains just keep coming! The water was flowing in through the cracks in the cement floor! We were fighting a losing battle for a good portion of Sunday and Monday. Finally on Monday afternoon it seemed to dwindle down to more of a trickle. Our carpeting is completely soaked and every inch of the basement had some water. We have a sewer drain opening, but when this basement was poured, apparently they didn't make the sewer drain the lowest point, but rather the highest, so nothing flows to it! Now I am no house builder, but it seems to me next to not building your house upon the sand (again the song) you should make the drain opening the lowest part of the basement, but that is just me!




We worked in that basement all day Sunday, got up at 2:00 A.M. Monday morning, and then worked down there all day Monday. I have included pictures for documentation. The industrial shop vac was from Maas Brothers Construction compliments of my brother!




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails