Thursday, December 4, 2008

Alissa, part dos


This is a continuation of the previous entry about my second born daughter, Alissa. I wanted to let her know how thankful I am to have her in my life not only as my daughter but also as my friend.
Alissa breezed through gradeschool with little problems. She was always at the top of her class and knew how to get others to do the things that would get her into trouble. (She inherited this from my brother by the way) She was an instigator. In sixth grade her teacher described her as aloof and I had to look the word up. He said she would just sit there and look at him while he tried to keep control of the class. The look she gave him was "I am here to learn so let's get on with it." She played all the usual sports in gradeschool mostly to be a part of the social scene I think. She began swimming at age 7. Swimming was such a big part of all of our lives as the girls were growing up. We spent many long Saturdays and Sundays at swim meets all over Wisconsin. Alissa met many friends through swimming and I know her coach, Scott taught her many lessons both in the pool and in life. He could get her to do things that she flat out refused to do for me.
Alissa swam all through high school and played soccer, too. That was about the extent of the things she did while in high school. She was a very good student and always had great grades but the whole social scene did not appeal to her. I secretly worried about her and if she was happy. The one good thing about little social life is that I got to spend a lot of time with her. I really appreciate that now as I look back on it. She worked at our aquatic center for many summers eventually moving up to the manager position.
When we dropped her off at Illinois Wesleyan I wondered if she would call us and want to come home, but her social life kicked in and she met some life long friends. I think the drinking helped, too. I missed her a lot during those years, but I knew she was happy and finding her place in the world. She lived with her sister after graduation and found the job from hell, but we all have to start somewhere. We almost lost her when she went door to door selling in Racine, but luckily the four men who drove her there brought her back!
Alissa is now working at a job she enjoys. ( As much as any of us enjoy our jobs) She recently became a wife to Nathan. They are getting ready to head to Jamaica for their honeymoon soon. They are so well suited to one another, both love wii, beer, and television. A match made in heaven.
Alissa has a great sense of humor. (inherited from her father and my brother) It is always fun to hang out with her because I can always count on a few good laughs. She likes to make fun of people, but I have seen her filled with compassion for these people, too. She has a real gift for writing and I am always hoping she would start a blog to share that gift with the world. I still think there is a book in her future. Even her emails are funny. She has a big heart as does her husband and they would do anything for family and friends. She loves her family and is always willing to spend time with her old mother. For this I am so thankful...
I don't know what John and I did to raise such a successful, funny, daughter (actually we raised two of them) but I am certainly proud of how Alissa turned out. It just gives me a happy heart and that one is for you, Alissa.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I tried to talk Alissa into starting a blog today too. It would be hilarious, but I guess we will have to wait for the day the book(s) get published. Until then, I guess I'll settle for emails....

Lissa said...

My god, that picture really makes me look like the progeria has set in. I look crazy! But, I must admit, you did luck out with me. I'm quite the lady.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails