Thursday, December 4, 2008

Alissa


Today I wanted to take a few minutes to introduce you to my daughter Alissa. My second born daughter. She called me last night and we had one of our usual fun chats. She may not know it, but I really needed a good laugh and as usual she supplied it, so I wanted to say, "Thanks" and let everyone know how much I love this gal!
Alissa was born three weeks late, but made her entrance in less than twenty minutes. So fast that we hardly made it to the hospital through the snow filled streets, the doctor never did make it. I knew it was time for her to be born and the nurse was saying, " We need to wait for the doctor to arrive" and I was just picturing where he lived and how long it was going to take him in that snow and I asked "Isn't there another doctor in this hospital that could help us out here!" to which she replied, " Not at this time of the morning!" I still wonder what kind of a hospital doesn't have a doctor there at all hours. Anyway she arrived assisted by the nurse, but I am pretty sure the doctor still got the money. Alissa had so much hair. Everyone was amazed by the amount. I know, you are thinking, well so and so had lots of hair, too, but this was a lot of hair! She wore pigtails by four months and had hair down to her butt by age one. So, already on day one we knew she was special!
Alissa learned to read by age three. She spent her mornings with my grandma and grandpa and I think granny taught her to read. They doted on her and spent every minute playing, reading, talking, etc. Some days I would come to pick her up and she would be combing gramp's hair (the little he had) and putting scarves on him as well as hanging purses on him. Such patient people! She developed quite the bond with my grandma and I know she still has fond memories of those times. Anyway she was reading chapter books by age four and she has never stopped reading.
When she was four and Courtney was at school and I was on the phone with my best friend (this occurred every afternoon) Alissa would use the tape recorder and just talk and sing, it was precious. I didn't always know what she was saying or doing but it kept her busy while I was chatting. I am so thankful to have a few of these tapes left, they are priceless and make me laugh whenever I listen to them.
I have to continue this tribute later since it is time for me to head off to school, so watch for the next addition. Later...

1 comment:

Kim said...

What a great tribute to Lissa! I didn't know she could read so early. Hope you have a great day at school today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails